Really since leaving San Antonio there has not been much to write about, seems like I have not really seen anything in days. There has just been road. South of San Antonio on highway 90, there is not much to see. I am about 2 miles away from Mexico. I will stay the night on this side of the border and in the morning I will cross the river. The last few days I have been biking a lot of miles and I went one stretch today for almost 50 miles with not even a single town or gas station.
I ran out of water and had to fill up my water bottles at a wind mill in the middle of nowhere.
The water was slightly green, but was drinkable. I will not make the same mistake again, when I get down into Mexico I will carry twice my normal amount of water. Last night I camped out on the Nueces River, where dozens of families were swimming and cooking out. It made me really feel out of place. One bad thing about what I am doing is that it is hard to come across as normal.
When I ride up on my bike, covered in dirt and smelling like road kill, it is hard to come across as a college educated normal person.
I remember one time I was sitting at the library and a guy was sitting next to me. I am sure he was homeless and now that I think back on it he looked exactly like me. I guess I am homeless, and a vagabond, but I still think people should see me as normal which is funny.
I guess since I cannot see myself, I still look the same as before, other than I do not look the same. It is funny though with a little soap, hot water and a change of clothes I am the same just with a nice tan. So I guess the important thing is soap.
1 comment:
Justin,
A friend of mine shared this link on their BLOG. I will be very interested reading your adventures through Central and South America. What an adventure. I can't imagine doing that. What great memories you will have.
Take care,
R:)
Post a Comment