Friday, February 22, 2008

Machu Pichu

So finally I made it to Machu Pichu. It was on crazy ride. I thought it was just a matter of taking a short bus ride but I was very wrong. All together it took me 4 days from Cusco to Machu Pichu and back. I travelled with 10 Chileans and it was so great to have the company. It was a real blessing to be able to have them watching out for me and I loved being with them so much that I am thinking about changing my route and instead of going to Brazil, biking Chile.

Actually we were very lucky to make it in that time because of all the protests that are taking place in this area, lots of strikes and turmoil and it is hard to travel around. We left Cusco on Monday night and road a bus until Santa Maria, which at 3 am the road was blocked so we ended up walking a few hours in the dark to get to Santa Maria. Then from there we took another bus to Santa Teresa and then walked the train tracks for 3 hours to get to Aquas Calientes and then the following morning we went to Machu Pichu which was more walking and hiking. All together I think in 4 days I walked a total of 14 hours, and rode on the bus for around 20 hours and slept very little. I arrived back in Cusco, from where I left. I am ready to get to biking. All of Cusco is closed today because of the strikes and so there is not much to see and it is not a very restful feeling being in the city at this time.







Above Machu Pichu











Returning on the bus

1 comment:

JasonC said...

So jealous; I want to go there so bad.
But I will have some green tea for you in Hong Kong.