Saturday, February 16, 2008

From the middle of nowhere to another place nowhere

I do not really know quite where I am, but I am getting closer to Cuzco. I checked into a hostel and planned on taking a train to Machu Pichu but missed the last train, which left at 8:30 am, so here I am stuck in some little town. The hostel would not return my money even though I had only stayed for 5 min in the room. Actually the lady running the hotel managed to lie to me a couple times in the matter of 30 minutes, but I guess that is just the way it goes sometimes. She told me that there were still trains, which there were not any, then she told me that someone else owned the hostel and they were way up in the mountains and I could not reach them to get a refund on the room, when know very well I am staying in her house, with two rooms converted as a hostel. And since I am stuck here I need a little bit of money and she gave me a very low exchange rate and then charged me $2 to change $20 because she said that she would have to take a bus to the next major town of Cuzco to change the money, and when she opened her money drawer, she had lots of US dollars and Sols, the local currency, so this too was a lie. I guess that is one bad thing about having lived a lot of places in the world, I can detect a lie about a hundred miles off. But it is all part of the journey, and for every time someone has ripped me off there have been a dozen or more people that have helped me out.



Back in Chacos

Red river, kind of like Oklahoma to me





2 comments:

Chelsea-B-Jolly said...

Sending so much support from the Northwest...I showed my roommates your blog and they all were so impressed. How are your knees doing?

ontheroad said...

holla justin,
belive it or not just got your mess today...
I can see that you bypass me somewhere in equador or peru.
I`m in trujillo and debating if I should hit the mountains now or wait until the end of the rainning season. How is the weather there at the moments??
happy rides amigo