Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The last few days

The last few days have been hard because in three days I have been caught in two storms. It is quite scary being up in the mountains at 4,000 meters and a storm moves overhead and there are not many places to go. One storm moved in so fast with sleet and then snow, I quickly set up my tent to get warmed up and in another 30 minutes it cleared and the sun came out.

It has been three days of hard biking with an average of one small town a day. In the small towns I try to get a warm meal and enough food to carry me until the next little town. I have seen lots of wildlife, but not many people. And whenever I see someone I try to talk with them, because it can make a person go crazy going days and days without talking to anyone. The food that I have had has been good. At one place I had trout and there is always lots of fresh baked bread and cheese to be found. I even have been eating cactus buds, they are sweet like fruit, but the only down fall is that they are full of seeds.

I just passed the 14,000 km marker. I will be in Cuzco in a few more days, and hopefully from here on out there will be more small towns. I will buy some winter gear in the next town or so, an extra pair of gloves, socks and a stocking cap. It is cold at night, the days stay warm when the sun is out.The first few photos are the last photos of the little town of Puquio.






Storm clouds moving in

Two Brazilians - they were some of the only people I talked to in three days of riding

This Alpaca is owned by someone, it has tags in its ears


Wild Alpaca in the mountains

Finding a place to eat up in the mountains

Almost 4,000 meters

Up above the couds in the morning hour

The yellow ones are the ones that you eat

Cactus buds, great fruit


A little green again




1 comment:

Summer said...

Alpaca! That's what they are. I knew deer was wrong, but they really looked like lama. I wonder what the difference between lama and alpaca is . . .