Sunday, September 23, 2007

Learning Spanish-

So I found this Vest Pocket Spanish book at the thrift store when I was in the States. It cost me a whole quarter. When I started the lessons I noticed something a little funny about the book. One, that it seemed a little out of date and when I looked at the copyright, it was copyrighted in 1958. This book has provided some needed comic relief for me. I would like to share some of the phrases with you from the book.
Many of these phases I have never even used in my life in English.

What is the price of the alligator handbag?
Cuanto cuesta esa bolsa de cocodrilo?

I want to buy a large sarape for a bed.
Deseo comprar un sarape grande, para cama.

Let me have one dozen flash bulbs.
Deme una docena de focos "flash"

Do you have 16mm. Movie film?
Tiene pelicula para cina de dieciseis milimetros?

I want to send a telegram.
Deseo mandar un telegrama

What is the rate per word?
Cuanto cuesta cada palabra?

Caddy, my driver please.
Caddy, mi palo numero uno

The partridge season is from December to March.
La estacion para perices es de diciembre a marzo.

1 comment:

Margaret Shugart said...

LOL I particularly like the Caddy, my driver please. So classically dated; was watching a Katherine Hephern film last night and it's so something she would've said.

I met you briefly on couchsurfing- you were headed through Alpine on your way down south but I will still abroad. I logged into CS recently and was wondering how your trip went. Looks like you are still out in the world! I wish you all the best...