Monday, June 22, 2009

When 10 years comes around-

In ten years since graduating high school I could never have dreamed that my life would have played out the way that it has.
This last weekend was my ten year high school reunion, it has been a wild ten years, and one thing is for sure I would have never dreamed that I would have been here in Oklahoma for my reunion.
But I guess that is one of the small blessings in life. It was great to be able to see old friends, some faces looked just the way they had walking across the stage at graduation and some I would say they were wearing their bodies out way too fast and they had better slow down. I have travelled a lot of miles, slept in the ditch in at least a dozen countries, but I had not aged as much as some of my fellow classmates.
It was great to laugh at old stories, and to hear that so many of my friends have lived their dreams. I received the award for having lived in the most places, and I am thankful it was not the award for having had the most children which is four I would like to include. I guess maybe I have not lived in the most places, maybe I would have won the award rather for not having lived in any place for the longest period of time, or maybe in truth there would be someone else that lives so far off the radar that they know nothing of facebook and had no idea of the reunion, nor even knew how to get back to Edmond even if they wanted, and if that fellow traveler is out there then the award goes to them.
But it is always funny to me when people ask me if Afghanistan was scary and I want to ask them if being married and having kids is scary. Because I can honestly say that living in Afghanistan was a breeze to untangling my emotions and figuring out how to communicate clearly in a relationship. Sticks and stones will break my bones, but a broken heart takes a long time to heal. And so in my opinion is that awards should be garland around the shoulders of my classmates with successful marriages and who are raising children. It just does not look as exciting at times, but I tip my hat to you.
These last ten years have gone by way too fast, where has the time gone, slipped through our fingers.
And if I could not imagine the last ten years, only God knows the next ten years.
Really I have not a clue what the next ten months will hold,
I hope just to have a grasp on the next ten days.
And in the next ten minutes I will hopefully have this posted on my blog.
So let this be a reminder to us all that we need to take it a little easy, find some time to figure out just where we are going.
But do not underestimate the significance of the small things
In ten years from now, would be love deeper and hopefully be a little bit wiser.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great thoughts. isn't it crazy how fast 10 years goes.... i'm almost there myself....

erin beth said...

Here here, friend. Like you I found it is much easier and more exciting to run 12,000 miles away than it is to stay in one place and work on changing yourself.

Sarah said...

So I'm curious to know where you have been?