Monday, November 26, 2007

Under the waterfall, but not under the fall rocks-

It is funny to think of all the crazy places I have camped. I know I could write a book just about my weird camping experiences. But two nights ago might have been one of the strangest and scariest.

I was way up in the Andes Mountains about 8,000 feet and looking for a place to camp. There was none for quite some distance, all except for this little grassy patch beside a huge waterfall. I hid behind some bushes and waited for the sun to set before setting up my tent. But as the sun set, a huge rain storm came in soaking me and all my gear. It was very cold, wet and I was quite afraid it was going to be a miserable night. But I kept my sleeping bag dry which is my life line in cold weather. The storm passed and I tried to get the water out of my tent, and I changed into a dry set of clothes and unrolled my sleeping bag. The water got in the tent while setting it up because the grassy patch was on top of a bunch of rocks and I was not able to properly set up my tent.

I was finally safe and warm inside my sleeping bag when I heard what sounded like cables popping. It quite scared me the first time, then it continued a few minutes later. When it happen the third time I knew I needed to check it out. Rocks were falling from the cliff above down into the road and it was obstructing traffic. I stayed hidden beside the waterfall behind the bushes as the people in the cars cleared the rocks from the road. I was thankful I had set up my tent in the grassy patch beside the waterfall and not in the road.

No comments: