I have had some strange Thanksgivings in my life. I remember the first of strange Thanksgivings was when I was living in Taiwan. We had the normal fare of food, plus all the wonderful dishes like seaweed, duck and tofu that our Taiwanese friends brought. Then last year while living in Afghanistan was also unique where we had Thanksgiving Pigeon instead of turkey. But we were thankful for the pigeon none the less. This year might have been the most obscure.
I biked a hard 50 miles up into the mountains to the little town of Pasto so that I could make a phone call to my family. I made a promise to my mom that I would call. So I had to bike really hard and when I arrived in Pasto to make the call I was able to get a hold of my dad, but I never reached my mom, and to make matters even a little worse I could not find anything that looked anything like a Thanksgiving dinner. I thought about Chinese and it just did not fit or Italian. Nor was this so inticing. And so what I settled for was a progressive ´´American´´ Thanksgiving dinner. I had a slice of pizza at one restaurant, then a hamburger at another, then cake and some cookies at a bakery, and to finish the night, ice cream at another place. I am sure of one thing even after all this food this was the first Thanksgiving that I burned more calories then I consumed. But to redeem the Thanksgiving I was able to find Internet the following morning where I was able to talk to my mom.
1 comment:
You are the sweetest son....
One of my favorite Thanksgiving memories is when I spent Thanksgiving with you in Taiwan. love and miss you bunches
Post a Comment