Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sailing-

With my bike broken down into pieces and places in a cardboard box, my bike and I were ready to sail. I would be sailing on the Windseeker ran by Captain Mike from Australia. Also on the ship was Carlos, a Portuguese skipper, who actually owned his own ship, but was sailing with us for fun. Then there were four of us seeking passage, Harvey from France, Pet and Nigel from England and then myself.

Actually I would have given the trip a 10 out of 10 if we would have thrown Carlos overboard. I have never met a more obnoxious person in my life and being in a sailboat 6 days with the guy almost killed all of us. In six days I do not know if he was quiet for more the 5 min the whole time. No one could hold a conversation without being interrupted and his talk of his great valor, chasing women and thousands of other exaggerated stories. He never even so much as learned any of our names, but he could cook I will give him that. We ate so well on the six days at sea, fried fish, snails, soups, hamburgers, omelets. The captain was really wonderful and the crew all got along really well. I have never heard so much cursing in my whole life and I now know around a million crude jokes. I have really fallen in love with sailing and now am planning on buying a boat after biking around the world so I can sail around the world. I might get more people to join me if I have a boat instead of a bike.

5 comments:

iLikeToBake said...

You're right...I'd join in if you had a boat ;)

Practical Traci said...

happy halloween :)

Mike said...

It's good to see that you're still traveling and safe. I've been following your blog since before heading into Latin America and enjoy it a lot.

I'm currently planning my own trip to South America starting in Maine. I'm still undecided on whether I want to go by bike or take buses...any advice?

Mike

Summer said...

It's good to see another post from you!

JasonC said...

This reminds me of a song by Lyle Lovett and also performed by Eddie From Ohio about a boy with a pony and a boat. And basically the kid rides the pony on his boat and travels all around.