Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Getting ready to sail-
I got down to Portobello which is on the Atlantic coast of Panama. I looked forward to a few days of rest and finding a ship to sail down to Colombia. When I got down there, that is when all the festivities of Black Christ started so it was not the restful experience I was looking for. But What I did find was a boat to sail to Colombia and half a dozen really good friends. I spent 4 days in Portobello. I met Marcos, a Canadian guy who ran a little restaurant. There were no places to stay but he offered me a place to camp up in the mountains on his property. It might have been the best place that I have camped in the last 5 months. I could view the ocean and the lively city of Portobello. I had a nice mountain stream to bath in and the jungle surrounded me on all sides. As I waited for the ship to leave, I met almost a dozen other boat captains and I spent hours talking about sailing. Actually with time, I made quite a few friends and got invited on most of the boats in the port. I even got offered passage to Australia if I wanted to go. The last night I was even offered a bed to sleep on in one of the boats. It was so wonderful be be so kindly received. On the last night of the Black Christ festival we watched fireworks from a 45 ft sailboat. Even though I had the bad experience of having my camera stolen I had such a great time in Portobello and made so many new friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment