Some would ask where I go to church, and some time ago I would have answered with the name of a place which has an address. In time I have learned that the church is the church and it has no other name, there are not denominations and there is not a building. Do I attend church? No we are the church. What time does church meet? The church has always been meeting and will always continue so. What are the activities of the church? The commandment of the Lord to love the Lord with all the heart, soul and mind and to love others as oneself. The church is everywhere, and is not confined to a time, a building or a denomination. I have had the best church services in my life these last few months and I have only been to a building 3 times. The Bible should be our guide. And it is easy to see that we have strayed from its teachings. I have never spent so little time with other Christians and the things that I have learned have been immense.
When Jesus started his ministry he did not sign up to bring donuts to Wednesday night to a men’s bible study. No, he lived with the lost and gave everything that he had. He did not put on a suit for Sunday and shuffle into the spot in a pew. He lived it 24 hours a day. He did not have a clock for ministry, nor a building, nor did he ever seek to acquire these things. Why did he not? Because he did not fit God in a building, giving an hour on Sunday. No, he knew that his life was to glorify the Lord and to serve all those he met. Jesus was the church. When he said to the high priest, tear down this temple and I will rebuild it in three days, he was talking about his body.
As I reflect upon the Bible I do not see most of the things that we call church, these are rather traditions that have been kept as blind guides. And blind us they have and they blind the world around us. If we lived the love of Jesus then we would not have empty pews. If Christians gave their life’s there would not be dilapidated buildings, there would not be these idols that we call church. We have complicated everything by trying to make the church fit into what we want it to be. The church does not fit in a building and it does not have a denominational name, nor does it meet on Sundays and Wednesday. It meets at all times and in all places and all the words and actions of believers should be carried out as ministry to those around them. The church is only limited by the lies it believes and the selfishness of the heart.
2 comments:
RIGHT ON! WE LOVE YOU AND HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON.
KRISTEN
There are so few who understand, but thank you for putting it out there and understanding. It's refreshing to know that a fellow brother in Christ 'gets it'.
Post a Comment