Saturday, March 1, 2008

Finally in Bolivia

So after 45 days in Peru I needed a little change. I made it to the border yesterday morning and when I got to the border, I was informed that I needed to pay one hundred dollars in cash. I only had $75 and then I was told that the closest place to get cash was back down the road at Puno which is a two and a half hour bus ride, so I jumped on the bus leaving my bike at the immigration office, and then I withdrew the cash in Puno and hit the bus back to the border to make it just 15 minutes before the border closed for the night. I think that I spent more on the visa than I will in my whole time in Bolivia. It is crazy cheap.
I bargained for a room here in La Paz and when I calculated what I thought was a overpriced room, it turned out to cost $4 a night. I paid $2 a night at the border. And when I thought I was spending a lot of money on food it was always about a dollar for a meal. Here I am in Bolivia! And I am glad to be away from the rough border. It was a full days ride to La Paz from the border. La Paz is such a nice city and I had a nice walk around the center and just enjoyed all the foods. I ate and ate until I was so stuffed I could hardly walk. But I think after La Paz there is only one or two major cities before Chile, so I had better soak in the bright lights and great street food.

Miguel, a cool guy I met on my bus ride to Puno

A picture of the border on the other side of the lake


Lago Titicaca


La Paz


The Plaza


One of the boats resting on the Lake


Farmer up in the mountains. He was just checking out my camping sight up in the mountains

Rudy of the road - this guy is a logger from Canada, hitting South America by bike .

My first haircut in over a year, with a fat tip this set me back $1

2 comments:

iLikeToBake said...

Haha. Can't wait for the after photo! Good luck on enjoying Bolivia! Are you going to make it to Angel falls in Chile? I hope so!

JasonC said...

I believe Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world. It is supposed to be large and very deep.
Also, Bolivia has 2 capitals- La Paz and Sucre. I think one is the financial capital and the other the governmental one.