I took the Bolivian Highways, which showed up as a highway on my map but turned out to be dirt roads and the worst of dirt roads. I ended up pushing my bike half the time. The highlight was covering the salt plains, which extends for more than 100km of nothing but salt. It was a great ride, but it was hard on my bike and me. I lost one of my pedals this week, but luckily I had an extra in my bag, which was miracle because I do not even carry a spare tube. All this got me way behind on meeting my friend Mike in Santiago, so yesterday I had to hitch a ride. I was out of food and had two or more days of riding on dirt roads, so I hitched a ride 80km so that I could make it to the next town before dying. OK that is an exaggeration but that is how it felt, I now have 10 days to cover 1400 km, which will take a miracle, but God is in the work of miracles.
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
I am alive!
It was touch and go there for awhile. I was not even on the map half of the time. I do not know how I crossed from Bolivia to Chile, but I think I took the road less traveled, well, at least it has been traveled once now. I am finally in Chile and the road ahead is a dry one. Last night I slept in my tent trying to stay warm, and all I had for dinner was rice and an onion. It has been a tough week and my wheels have not touched paved road even once. I did not to intend it to be this way.
I took the Bolivian Highways, which showed up as a highway on my map but turned out to be dirt roads and the worst of dirt roads. I ended up pushing my bike half the time. The highlight was covering the salt plains, which extends for more than 100km of nothing but salt. It was a great ride, but it was hard on my bike and me. I lost one of my pedals this week, but luckily I had an extra in my bag, which was miracle because I do not even carry a spare tube. All this got me way behind on meeting my friend Mike in Santiago, so yesterday I had to hitch a ride. I was out of food and had two or more days of riding on dirt roads, so I hitched a ride 80km so that I could make it to the next town before dying. OK that is an exaggeration but that is how it felt, I now have 10 days to cover 1400 km, which will take a miracle, but God is in the work of miracles.










I took the Bolivian Highways, which showed up as a highway on my map but turned out to be dirt roads and the worst of dirt roads. I ended up pushing my bike half the time. The highlight was covering the salt plains, which extends for more than 100km of nothing but salt. It was a great ride, but it was hard on my bike and me. I lost one of my pedals this week, but luckily I had an extra in my bag, which was miracle because I do not even carry a spare tube. All this got me way behind on meeting my friend Mike in Santiago, so yesterday I had to hitch a ride. I was out of food and had two or more days of riding on dirt roads, so I hitched a ride 80km so that I could make it to the next town before dying. OK that is an exaggeration but that is how it felt, I now have 10 days to cover 1400 km, which will take a miracle, but God is in the work of miracles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It definitely looks like you took the road less traveled on that one. Did you pack up some of the salt from the plains to use for seasoning?
Post a Comment