Tuesday, April 24, 2007

11 days to go-

I should have written the whole time leading up to this journey around the world, but I have been really busy and I have had an amazingly difficult time finding words. It is not that the words are not there, it is just that I cannot find them. It seems to me that my time in the United States has been so wonderful, I have been able to see friends and family. I have been able to travel a little, I have done research for my trip and acquired all my gear. I am ready to go. So in 11 days I will push my bike out of the garage and head down the road. Maybe I thought that I would have reached some great insight while living in the United States, but I have found just the opposite. With all the television, billboards, commercials I have found that life has been sucked out of me and I look forward to the open spaces, the deserts, the mountains. I long for the spaces free of the sounds of machines and electricity.

I had imagined that in this season in the States I would have more insight into my trip, like more of a clear insight into why I am making this journey. And also maybe into the understanding of how long it will take place. But I must confess that I am more confused about the Why than ever before. The trip to me is not a vacation, it is not about trying to see the world before I die. Really it is a continuation of a journey I have been on all my life. It is not about a bike, nor about a destination.

It is just the journey of a nomad.

No comments: