When I look back on the last 11,000 km I see a change in me in so many areas. For one thing, I own less now than when I left 7 months ago. I only have two sets of clothes and I have become a survivor. I feel that I could almost sleep anywhere, in any weather condition and I have noticed just in the last few days that I do not get hot nor cold. I noticed the other night when everyone was talking about it being cold, I felt comfortable and the next day when everyone was talking about it being hot, I felt perfect.
I have not spent more than a few days with any one person and just about the time I get to know someone, I head down the road where I will meet others and share life with them for a few days before going further and further. It is funny because some would think that I would be cold towards friendships and would forget the ones I meet, but I find just the opposite. I find that my heart just grows more and more and I do not forget one person that I have met, nor a face, instead my heart grows with all the new friends I make. I make friends fast and love deeply and trust more quickly. I have to. If I held up my guard then I would have no friends. Life is too short for me to hold people at arm's length.
I have realized how little we actually need to live and it seems the less I own the happier I am, and I must say that I am about as happy as I think anyone can be. I own about 45 kilos including my bike and all my gear and my heart is full of a million kilos of memories, faces, sounds, smells and sights. I often wonder how after these last 7 months, I can ever do anything else. How could I ever go back to talking about movies, sports, watching the same TV programs as the masses, living off two week vacations and fast food, driving a car that I would not own, nor a house I cannot afford, making enough salary to pay off the interest on a dozen credit cards? Some ask me how I do it, traveling like I do and I want to ask- is it hard living in slavery to debt, because I am free of debt, free of commercialism, capitalism and the rat race. Yes, sometime it is a little lonely up in the mountains looking out on one of the most wonderful sunsets, not because I am lonely but because none are with me to enjoy such a wonderful moment, instead so many settle for the 5 o’clock news over a microwave dinner.
11,000 Kilometers has taught me so much, but I do not know if I could ever adequately explain it. Maybe it is a dream that the alarm on the side of my bed will wake me from but then again, maybe your life is a dream and you will wake in the Andes mountains to ponder upon the millions of stars in the sky, or then again maybe your alarm will wake you to a cup of 12 0z cup of coffee and a thirty minute commute to work where you will wish it had just been a bad dream. Really 11,000 km is not that far, or is it?
5 comments:
I'm glad I know you, Sir :)
Huzzah for this reflective post. I wonder about living that rat race life as much as you do. But I can't give up movies...no, more like films. I think that films, good films, really give us an experience and a thought provocation that not many things in this world can.
im so glad i know you too.
I'm so impressed with you as a person. If you learned this much in just seven months, I can't imagine how you'll be in five years, floating around barefoot probably. You really seem to grab a hold of life Justin and I admire that.
Warm regards and congrats on your journey.
I check back to your blog every now and then and it's been such a beautiful adventure. I really enjoyed this entry.
I have to say, when (if?) you get back, you will be able to make the choice to set all these things aside- TV dinners (and TV), movies, driving a car, debt, being caught up in the American wave. I had a friend say she didn't understand how we have any conversations, as out of touch with mainstream as I choose to be... but somehow we survive!
I'll be interested to see how your Christmas trip to the States felt. Reverse culture shock is the most challenging.
You're an inspiration- living this dream and going through all this expansion. I wish you the best of luck on your next 11K km!
Post a Comment