Monday, December 16, 2013

Memories from long ago-


I have been going over a bunch of old files on my computer and cleaning up my hard drive.  It is so interesting to see all the old photographs, notes and music. I am also in now my 15th years of keeping a journal, and there is nothing like pulling out an old journal and reading about life in another season. I can get pretty nostalgic, especially when it comes to transitioning once again to a new place. Mostly because I end up having to simplify my life, which means that I must decide what to keep and what to leave. Charli and I have gotten rid of almost everything we own. We kept our house, which we are renting out, and everything else we owned would fit in a Honda accord. Letting go of my leather jacket, letting go of books, and even more meaningful leaving jobs, friends, family and a church that we love so dearly. Moving allows you to say what you really need to say, because there is no tomorrow. It allows you to hold onto memories that many may discard, or throw out. You learn to treasure the moment. I have made it the goal of my life to try to be fully present, to give my whole heart and embrace the moment. Many of those memories are deep beneath layers of my heart but I have not forgotten them; rather, they make us who we are today. I am thankful for all the memories of long ago, memories over great meals, late night conversations, times when great sorrow sought to swallow us.  Distances can not separate us, and I rejoice that we have enjoyed life together.
-Justin 

No comments: